Battery Safety: Protecting Yourself – and Your Car
June is National Safety Month, so what better time to look at best practices for safely servicing your car battery? Before you pop the hood, brush up on some dos and don’ts so you don’t harm your car – or yourself.
Leave it to the Pros
First and foremost, when it comes to your battery, we always recommend leaving it to the pros. AAA Battery Service Technicians service car batteries every day and are properly outfitted with personal protective equipment (PPE) including safety goggles and rubber gloves. They go through rigorous training on how properly test, service, install, and recycle car batteries – all in a safe manner.
Jump Starting a Car Battery
- Read your Owner’s Manual before taking any action – every car is different.
- Wear safety goggles to protect your eyes and always wear rubber gloves to protect your skin from harmful chemicals.
- Always double-check the condition of the jump cables being used. If you see any exposed cabling or fraying, stop and call a professional.
- During the winter season, if your car sits overnight and has a dead battery in the morning, it’s best to call a professional to ensure you do not jump start a frozen battery.
Keeping Your Car Battery Charged and Clean
- Even when your car is off, the battery is working to power systems like your clock and radio. For this reason, it’s important to drive your car regularly to recharge the battery.
- If your car will be sitting unused for an extended period of time, consider using a Battery Tender or other maintenance-type battery charger to keep your car battery fully charged.
- If you think your car battery is leaking, stop and call a professional. The battery is filled with sulfuric acid which can be harmful, even if you’re wearing protective gear.
Remember, AAA Mobile Battery Service is here to help. When you call 1-800-AAA-HELP a AAA Battery Service Technician will come to you to inspect and test your battery. In most cases, they can replace the battery onsite, if needed. You and your battery will be ready to roll in no time, all without ever getting your hands dirty. For more information on AAA Mobile Battery Service, visit AAA.com/Battery